Can I report my mom for dental neglect and if so, how?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I report my mom for dental neglect and if so, how?

My mom hasn’t taken me or my sister to the dentist in like 7 years, maybe more. I did some research and found out it can be considered dental neglect. Even though I love my mom, I feel the need to report her. My self esteem is so low. I feel so insecure anytime I talk to someone. I am 15 years old as my sister is 13. My mom has said that it’s due to finances and I understand we are poor but it’s been too long with out any dental care. My dad has yelled at her for not taking us too. He would if he could but unfortunately, he works as a truck driver and is not home most of the time. I really just need to go to the dentist.

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can call Child Protective Services in your state and report your mom's neglect.  However, you should be aware that Child Protective Services could take you and your sister away from your parents and place both of you in foster care (foster home with other adults who would take care of you and your sister).
Another possibility is for you to report your mom's neglect to an adult at your school such as a counselor or the principal.  Again, when the counselor or principal reports your mom's neglect to Child Protective Services, there is the possibility that you and your sister could be placed in foster care as mentioned above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption