Can I remove an account from my credit report if the account never belong to me if I opened it for another person?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I remove an account from my credit report if the account never belong to me if I opened it for another person?

I opened an account for a friend and it was supposed to be transferred to him. The account is closed but it still shows on my credit report as an unpaid collection and I’m getting letters for it.

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can contact the credit reporting agency regarding the account that you had opened for a friend which was to be transferred to him or her but apparently was not. Most likely the credit reporting agency will not remove it from your report.

The best way to try and get this reference in your credit report is to contact a company that clears up one's credit reports. There are many of these such companies and you can do an online search to see whaich company may best suited to assisted you in your endeavor.

In the future you should never open up a credit account in your name on behalf of someone else. Many times the person for whom the account was opened for does not live up to his or her obligations and the person the credit account is in gets a bad credit rating.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption