Can I refuse to go home early if I am scheduled to work later on paper than my “shift leader” wants me to?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I refuse to go home early if I am scheduled to work later on paper than my “shift leader” wants me to?

What if it is only an employee of equal rank that wants me to go home early due to “labor costs”. If my boss asks? I work at a fast food sandwich restaurant. Ex: I am scheduled to work from 4:00 to 9:00 but my coworkers want me to leave at 8:00. Can I refuse legally?

Asked on June 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your boss can *always* send you home early, regardless of what shift you are normally supposed to work. A co-worker of nominally equal rank can also send you home early, if the employer gave him or her the authority to do so (such as by making him or her a "shift leader"). Remember: the employer can always send you home early, which means any person(s) it designates to manage or supervise you at that time may do so, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption