Can I recieve a warrant for unpaid credit cards?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I recieve a warrant for unpaid credit cards?

It has been about 2 years since I have paid any of my credit cards. I have not receieved anything in the mail indicating i need to be in court.

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You don't receive a "warrant" for something like this.  If you haven't received anything in the mail then you probably have no "judgement" against you but that's no guarantee,  you might have.  Most probably in this economy your creditors just charged off your account;  however this will affect your credit rating.  A charge off will remain on your credit report for 7 years.  And if a judgement was obtained that will remain for 7-10 years although you are still reqiured to pay it off and interest will accrue.  But note, some judgements must be renewed every 5 or so years.  If it's not refiled then you no longer have any liability for it and it can then be deleted from your report at that time; otherwise you will have to satisfy (pay the judgement) to get it off.

Your best bet is to get your credit report from all 3 major reporting agencies - TranUnion, Equifax, and Experian.  You are entitled to one free report from each of them every year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption