Can I receive unemployment for high risk pregnancy?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I receive unemployment for high risk pregnancy?

I am high risk. I am 28 weeks just going
into my third trimester and my pregnancy
is taking a toll on me. I do manual labor
and am on my feet everyday. I am
scared of losing my baby due to working
too hard. Would I be able to apply for
unemployment for the remainder of my
pregnancy so I can take care of my
health and still pay my bills?

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you could not do this: quiting or leaving your job voluntarily because you are concerned about your health is still voluntarily quitting or leaving your job and makes you ineligible for unemployment benefits. Since your state does not have mandatory short term disability, only if you specifically enrolled in or purchased a short term disability plan would you have any means to replace part of your income while out, if you do out of work for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption