Can I receive compensation if I

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I receive compensation if I

I had drug interaction with medication that I was on and IV drugs that they gave me during anesthesia. It CAUSED MY HEART TO FLATLINE and it took 2 ROUNDS OF CPR to get my heart beating again.

Asked on March 11, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF you had told them about the medication you were on (so they should have guarded against drug interaction; if you did not tell them, they did nothing wrong, not knowing of the risk) AND IF you suffered some significant additional costs or lasting disability or life impairment, you may have a vaid malpractice suit. The second issue--the consequences--is as important as whether they were at fault: the law only provide compensation for the costs and physical injuries or impairment caused by malpractice. If you, as we hope, have not suffered significant lasting health issues and did not incur significant additional costs, there is no point to suing: you'd get back less money than you'd spend on the lawsuit (malpractice suits are very expensive; you have to hire a medical expert and probably need a lawyer, too) and would net out economically behind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption