Can I put my mother’s property through probate, even if one of my siblings hasn’t given me a notarized letter of no contest over the property?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I put my mother’s property through probate, even if one of my siblings hasn’t given me a notarized letter of no contest over the property?

I have been making the mortgage payments on my mothers property for over 2 years after she passed away. The rest of my siblings have given me notarized letters of no contest over the property. I feel that the only sibling left just doesn’t have the extra money to get a letter notarized and may have concerns that if my wife and I where to divorce that she would try to take the property, which would never be her intent even if we where to divorce. Do I even need to go through probate? What can I do?

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  This type of letter may be specific to Kentucky Probate procedure and you should speak with an attorney there as to same.  Did your Dad leave you the property in a Will?  Or is it passing through intestate? If the letter waives their right to the property or consents to the WIll being put through probate then as long as it is properly served then you can probably proceed through probate if you serve additional notice that probate is going forward with out his objection.  In many states the notice is called a "citation." Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption