Can I put a lien on my neighbors property if I pay back taxes?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I put a lien on my neighbors property if I pay back taxes?

NH Neighbor passed away 2001. She left property to son from WY. Son has since
died 2013. Son was married with children all from WY. His name alone is on
the deed. Daughter has come out to put a FSBO sign on it after she asked us if
we wanted to purchase it. We declined. The New Link Destination
wn Assessor Clerk told me property
has not gone through probate yet. Property is 2 years behind on taxes. Now
there is an issue on where we park our cars so I may want to purchase it. Does
daughter have any rights to this property? Does wife?

Valerie Ward
Wakefield, NH

Asked on November 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whether the daughter or wife, you do not, and paying the taxes on it would not give you any rights to it--you'd just be "gifting" that money to the proper owners. You can't acquire rights to another's property by paying the taxes on it. You need to either buy it from the owner (which may not be determined yet, if it has not gone through probate), or wait until the town seizes it for unpaid taxes and purchase it then from the town.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption