can i prosecute the mother of my child for leaving her locked in a car while she went in to work

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i prosecute the mother of my child for leaving her locked in a car while she went in to work

she is a realtor and was showing a house. on the way there my 4 year old daughter fell asleep. The mother decided to just lock in her in the car while she went in to show a house. my daughter woke up and was terrified that nobody was around and she couldn’t get out and then wet herself.
I want to know if in Ohio this is a chargeable offense

Asked on June 27, 2019 under Criminal Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Laws vary from state to state, but an increasing number of states now bring criminal charges of child endangerment where a child is left unsupervised in a car. Those laws were enacted after children died in locked cars during hot weather.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption