Can I plead not guilty to this and win with a public defender?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I plead not guilty to this and win with a public defender?

I am a college student and have no money for a lawyer but here is my story. I am about an hour away from home and I am using my GPS to get home when I saw a cop behind me, so I pulled into a gas station because I didn’t want him to pull me over and of course he did. He said that he smelled weed when I rolled the window down, so he searched and found crumbs of nothing, he called it

Asked on February 25, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have a court date soon, then enter a plea of 'not guilty' until such time that you can visit with an attorney.   You may or may not be able to win your case...just depending on all of the facts of your case.  If the stop was illegal or the marijuana does not equal a sufficient amount to be charged with, then you may be able to defeat the charges.  The public defender can review all of the information regarding the arrest and review any other defenses that may be available to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption