Can i own & pay for a life insurance policy on my ex spouse(for the care of our minor children) in the state of mn?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i own & pay for a life insurance policy on my ex spouse(for the care of our minor children) in the state of mn?

Is there any special wording that must be added to the life insurance contract?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Insurance Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In order to own and pay for life insurance you must have what is known as an "insurable interest." Insurable Interest has been defined as the requisite connection between the one person and another person whose life is insured, as in the case of a financially dependent spouse or former spouse and children in the life of a former spouse.  Do you receive child support or alimony? Although it would appear that being an ex-spouse receiving  child support and alimony is an insurable interest, I would check with your divorce lawyer or the MN Department of Insurance just to be sure.

If you can indeed purchase life insurance on your ex, how much you want to purchase determine if your ex needs to give you his cooperation.  Insurance Companies will require a physical of your ex.  If you are not yet divorced perhaps you can ask your attorney about a provision in the divorce agreement requiring your ex to maintain a policy for a certain amount for a certain time for your benefit and the benefit of the children until a certain age.  This really should have been done in the divorce settlement/decree. But remember: although he may be required to do it he may not.  You could then demand that he cooperate in the procurement of insurance policies on his life.  Speak with an insurance agent in your State.  They will know the law and requirements.  You may not need his cooperation for small policies which may not require a physical.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption