Can I offer to sell my house to someone and have them keep the offer confidential?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I offer to sell my house to someone and have them keep the offer confidential?

A church bought a property next to mine and to my neighbors’ dismay I hear they are

looking to expand. I’d be interested in seeing if they want to buy my house but I know my neighbors would be upset about it. Can I propose the sale with some sort of agreement that they can’t talk about the offer regardless of if they accept it or not?

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely--it is legal for people, businesses, or other entitites to agree to keep negotiations or transactions confidential. (Of course, if the sale goes through, then the sale is public to anyone who chooses to look it up at the county office.) Have them sign a confidentiality agreement first, before getting into negotiations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption