CanI obtain a no-contact order against my daughter’s father for threatening our lives?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI obtain a no-contact order against my daughter’s father for threatening our lives?

Threats made over the phone. I do have audio recordings of the phone calls but he does not know that I recorded him. He has a violent history.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your daughter truly fear for your safety, you can retain an attorney to file a petition for a protective order against your daughter's father. You will have the burden of proving a likely threat of danger from him and the reasons why a protective order needs to be issued.

You need to be aware that many states have criminal laws prohibiting the recording of telephone conversations without the express permission of the person whose call is being recorded. California has a criminal statute on this subject.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption