CanI move out of my parents house at the age of 17, ifI have a1 year old daughter?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI move out of my parents house at the age of 17, ifI have a1 year old daughter?

My parents won’t let my daughter’s father see her or me. I want to move out and continue on as a family.

Asked on January 27, 2011 under Family Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Until you are 18 you are under your parents legal control. There is, however, an exception if the minor becomes "emancipated". Emancipation is a legal process in which a judge decides that you are old enough and mature enough to handle your own personal and financial matters. This allows you to conduct business without any adult supervision or control. An emancipation proceeding is begun by filing a petition in the district court of the county where you live. You will need to show that you have a job and can support yourself, that you have a place to live, and other requirements. Your best bet is to speak to an attorney in your area about all of this.  Check with your state social services department about free/low cost legal services that may be available to minors.

Note:   You can also become emancipated if you are 16 or 17 and marry.  However, in KS, if you are under 18 you will need your parents permission (or the permission of the court or legal guardian) to wed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption