Can I modify a insurance release form?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I modify a insurance release form?

A dollar amount has been agreed to regarding my claim with an insurance co. but the release form has language that threatens me with a future lawsuit. They have not made efforts to strike that language from the form. Can I take the initiative to black out aspects of their release form before I offer my signature? Thanks for you help.

Asked on March 25, 2019 under Insurance Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you change their release, you are rejecting their offer to settle your claim for the given amount of money and the existing release form; instead, you will be making a counteroffer to them--to settle on the basis of the given amount and the modified form. They may or may not accept that: they would have the right to decline to accept your counter and not pay you the money. You are only guaranteed the money if you accept as is. You have to decide if taking the chance of them essentially withdrawing the offer is worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption