If my husband wants a divorce, does he need to continue to pay the bills?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband wants a divorce, does he need to continue to pay the bills?

My husband decided he wanted out of the marriage; he doesn’t want to work it out or anything. I don’t make even half as much as him and it will be very hard for me to pay the mortgage and the other bills alone. Can I make him continue to pay these bills? Can I make him pay for an attorney if I hire one for myself?

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Possibly.  The marital estate is a high priority obligation of both parties.  If you file for a divorce or are engaged in a pending divorce, you can ask the court to require your husband to contribute to the marital estate.  Also, depending on the length of your marriage, the income of both parties, and whether or not you have children, you may be entitled to additional relief.  You can petition the court for Contribution to Marital expense, i.e. (Mortgage and Utilites), ask for Temporary Maintenance and or Child Support, and interim attorneys fees.  It is within the sole discretion of the Judge to grant you Temporary Relief.

For more information on Divorce and Marital Contributions, visit my website at:


David Lee

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption