Can I lose my teaching license?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I lose my teaching license?

I work for a charter school I want to break my contract in the middle of the school year and go to a different school. Can I break an at-will contract and still keep my teaching license?

Asked on October 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally, a professional license and a contract to work for an individual or given employer are two separate things: for example, as an attorney, if had an employment contract and breached it, I would not be disbarred. So unless this was some sort of a conditional or probationary license conditioned or dependent on being employed or being sponsored by this particular employer, you should be able to breach the contract without affecting your license. That said, if you do break the contract, bear in mind you can be sued--for example, for the cost of recruiting and training a replacement to take over for you, or the additional cost of a substitute teacher, if such costs more than you were being paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption