Can I legally withdraw the money from my husband’s bank accounts?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally withdraw the money from my husband’s bank accounts?

My husband has gone to jail and is facing jail time for 2 felonies and 3 misdemeanors. Im the one that called the police. He has two bank accounts with money from our joint taxes and some from our insurance company for roof repairs. We file jointly and my name is on the insurance but my name is not on the bank accounts. Can I legally withdraw the money?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Are you a signatory on the account?  Or do you have any other legal access to it?  Then I would speak with ana ttorney in the area on the matter.  The funds are with out a doubt joint funds but I would worry about with drawing from them if in fact he has to pay resititution or a fine or some thing else. Please take the time to seek legal help with this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption