Can I legally tell an employee who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, that they cannot do so when working for me?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally tell an employee who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, that they cannot do so when working for me?

Employee is retired from law enforcement and has a legal permit to carry a concealed weapon. We go into clients’ homes on a daily basis and care for the clients’ animals. Employee has worked for me for a year. Can I now legally tell employee they cannot carry concealed weapon when working for me?

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should be able to do this, as long as you are not a government agency. The constitutional amendments, such as the 2nd amendment right to bear arms, apply against the government, not against private employers. A private employer may set the terms and conditions of its employment, so long as they are not specifically prohibited by law (such as the laws forbidding certain kinds of discrimination in employment). That means that you could make it a term or condition of employment that an employee not to be bring his weapon to work.  He can arm himself up to when he comes into work in the morning and rearm himself when he gets back out to his car.

To be 100% certain you can do this, check the carry laws in your state, to make sure that those laws have not specifically made it illegal to bar someone from carrying a gun at work. You should be able to call your local police or county sheriffy to get this information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption