Can I legally stop my ex-husband’s new wife from communicating with me in regard to my spousal maintenance?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally stop my ex-husband’s new wife from communicating with me in regard to my spousal maintenance?

My ex-husband has remarried and we have been divorced for 7 years. We recently went and had a new agreement done up in regard to maintenance arearrages, and a loan that was owed to me. My ex-husband will not communicate with me and everything goes through his current wife. Does he have to deal directly with me or else through a lawyer? I do not want to deal with his wife.

Asked on August 11, 2011 Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can't control who he uses to communicate with you. He has the right to call you himself, to have his new wife do it, to have his attorney do it, etc.

What you can control is who takes the call. If you have an attorney of your own, you can refuse to speak to him, his new wife, or his lawyer, and instead direct that all communications go through your attorney. That, in fact, is something commonly done when two parties have no desire to speak with each other, for any reason. It will cost you some money, obviously--you'll be paying for your own lawyer's time. Therefore, you need to decide how much you dislike talking to the new wife--and what it's worth to you to avoid it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption