CanI kick a co-owner out if I made all payments related to the house?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI kick a co-owner out if I made all payments related to the house?

I paid for a house that my fiance and I live in. I pay all the utilities and paid for fixing up the house all myself; she paid nothing. I’ve been with my fiance for 17 year. and found out she has been cheating on me. Now I want her out of the house. However, I did put her name on the house because 
I thought we were going to get married. Is there anything I can do to kick her out?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


Robert Stiles / Robert K. Stiles, Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If she is on the deed you cannot kick her out.  You need to file a petition to partition to have her name removed from the deed.  During that legal proceeding you can seek recoupment of monies you spent out.

Please call me at 508-365-7002 as need should have a lawyer representing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption