Can I keep my ex-husband’s friend away from my children?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I keep my ex-husband’s friend away from my children?

I was assaulted by my ex-husband’s girlfriend’s friend and sister. At the time of the assault, my 3 year old son was in my arms. She then tackled me to the ground leaving my son unattended in a busy parking lot next to a very busy road. The sister got my 5 year old son and brought him outside of the restaurant to see the fight. I have eye witnesses that saw the assault from start to finish. What are my rights? Can I keep them away from my children?

Asked on February 25, 2011 under Family Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to keep them away if you get a protective order against them; there is no other mechanism, however. You should consult with an attorney, such a family lawyer, about what is invovled, the cost, what sort of an order you could get, etc. If you injured in the assult, you may also be able to sue the ex-husband's girlfriend for your damages--e.g. for medical costs, for lost wages, for pain and suffering--including possibly for emotional injury to one or both children.

Another option may be to report these women to the police, for assault and also for endangering a child, which may put them in jail at least for a short time; it will also help create an official record of their wrongdoing. There are therefore several options which you should discuss with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption