Can I include a request for dismissal in the wherefore section of my answer to a civil complaint?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I include a request for dismissal in the wherefore section of my answer to a civil complaint?

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The Wherefore section of the answer is not for requesting a dismissal.  You would write what you want from the case such as"Wherefore, Defendant prays that Plaintiff take nothing by his/her complaint and that Defendant be awarded the cost of suit."


The Request for Dismissal is a separate court form.  As the Defendant in the case, you cannot initiate a request for dismissal.  The request for dismissal would come from the Plaintiff when the case is settled and both parties (Plaintiff and Defendant) sign the request for dismissal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption