Can I have 2 attorneys from separate firms represent my child in 1 case?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have 2 attorneys from separate firms represent my child in 1 case?

A child was hit by a truck, both her parents want a separate lawyer for the same case to represent the child. Are they allowed to do this? From different law firms.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Accident Law, Utah


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sometimes attorneys act as "co-counsel" on one case.  This is a situation where two attorneys work together handling one case.  Under this type of agreement, the attorneys agree to split the fee, so the client is paying one legal fee and getting two attorneys.  You can not have two separate attorneys representing one client with respect to the same matter unless the attorney's are working together as I described above.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption