Can I have my record sealed?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have my record sealed?

I was arrested 2 1/2 years ago for felony theft. About 10 months ago I pled guilty to a misdemeanor theft charge and spent 1 year on probation, most of which was served via mail from the state where I now live. I should have used my first offenders rights but was not aware of the option until after the fact. Is there anything I can do to have this removed or sealed? I am unable to find work because of this.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In all cases in this country, a minor who has been convicted of a crime has his criminal file sealed and the file can only be unsealed by court order after due notice has been given. I presume that you were not convicted of a crime when you were a minor.

There is a possibility that you might  be able to get your criminal record expunged. In order to ascertain the likelihood of this and the costs, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the process.

You need to know that not all applications for an expungement are granted by the court. If successful in the application, the conviction for all intents and purposes per court order never happened. Many factors determine the grant of such a motion. It deals with how long ago the conviction was, what it was for, what the person seeking the relief has done since and the reasons for the desired expungement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption