Can i have my ex-boyfriend’s name removed from my property deed?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i have my ex-boyfriend’s name removed from my property deed?

how can i have someone’s name removed from my property paperwork? I ended up filing bankruptcy(chapter-13) in my name only which i paid the property out-but the initial paperwork 1st signed has both names listed on it and i want his name off of it we are no longer together since 2000

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy -- did you tell him you filed bankruptcy? He should have received noticed.  Why? Because you may have impacted his credit.  Why didn't you get him off the title beforehand? You better speak to your bankruptcy counsel about this issue.  He was on the deed? So he was a co-owner of the property.  Was he on the loan, too?

Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer and see the best bet for this situation -- especially if you get to keep the property in the Chapter 13.  You cannot just take his name off -- half the property is his or if it is joint tenancy, you each have a right to 100% of the property.

Try and look for a bankruptcy attorney in your state.  Check his or her record at the Louisiana State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption