Can I have a restraining order filed against me in colorado ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have a restraining order filed against me in colorado ?

My girlfriend of 2 years and I have just split up. We live in the same apartment
but I am not on the lease and in between jobs currently. My girlfriend has since
decided shes a lesbian and moved her new girlfriend in and plans to put her on
the lease. I want to move out but have no options currently. My girlfriend’s new
partner in pressuring her to put a restraining order on me to make me get out
asap. What are my options ? Will she be able to get a restraining order? I have
never hurt her or put her in danger in any way. I have plans to leave the first
chance I get. But currently our apartment is the only place I have to stay.
Please advise. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Asked on February 6, 2019 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) She can only get a restraining order if she can convince the authorities that you are a physical threat to her. If she is willing to lie and her new partner backs her up, that is possible.
2) Since you are not on the lease, you are legally considered a "guest." A guest may be asked to leave at any time, for any reason, no matter how long you have lived there, and if you don't leave when requested, she can bring a legal action for "ejectment" to get a writ or court order that the sheriff remove you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption