Can I have a felony reduced?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have a felony reduced?

I was falsely convicted. I now have a master’s degree. I even have a letter of recommendation from our city’s mayor. I have been employed for nearly 20 years with the same employer

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a prior felony conviction from years ago, you might consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney about the possibility of seeing if the conviction can be "expunged". If you are successful, in a motion to have the conviction expunged, it for all intents and purposes will no longer exist as a conviction but there would be public reference of the prior criminal proceeding.

Not all petitions to expunge are granted. The court looks at the type of conviction desired to be expunged, what the convicted person has done since with his or her life, the reasons for the request and the amount of time that has passed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption