Can I have 2 kitchens in a single family home in a single family zoning?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have 2 kitchens in a single family home in a single family zoning?

I have 2 kitchen in my house. The house was taxed as 2 family and used for 20 years as such but is in a single family zoning. I need to open up upstairs and make it 1 family but do I need to get rid of the 2nd kitchen upstairs or can I keep it and it will be legally OK?

Asked on February 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get your answer to your question is to go down to your local building and permit department to see if you are allowed to have two kitchens in one home designated as single family. From what I see, there should be no problem with you to have two kitchens in one single family residence. For example, many homes have outdoor cooking and eating areas with an interior cooking and eating area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption