Can I go to small claims court to have a secondary lease agreement upheld?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go to small claims court to have a secondary lease agreement upheld?

I found a post on a housing group for my school on facebook that advertised,

Asked on December 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The "secondary lease" is not a lease, since you are not subleasing to her and she has no right to modify the lease you entered into between you and the landlord.
It is a contract, however, and if she breaches the contract by not finding someone to take over the lease from you, you can sue her for all the amounts you have to pay--that is, for the rent for the remainder of your lease term. (Remember: you are liable to the landlord under the lease you signed.) If that amount is under the small claims limit, you can sue her in small claims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption