Can I go to jail for not paying for unauthorized auto repairs?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go to jail for not paying for unauthorized auto repairs?

My 18 year old son took his car in for an alignment. When he went to pick the car up they slapped him with an $875 bill which included 4 new tires, tire rods, belts, and the alignment. We told them the service was not authorized and the could put the old parts back on the car and we would pay for the alignment as requested. They refused to call the manager and said they would keep the car and we needed to come back when the manager returned from vacation. We explained the vehicle as needed and the situation needed to be handled. We eventually left with the vehicle.

Asked on February 8, 2012 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Typically no--a failure to pay for repairs, whether authorized or not, will not result in criminal liability. The repair shop may be able to sue your son and/or you for the money they claim you owe them, but there is no criminal penalty for nonpayment unless it can be shown that you acted with criminal intent. For example, if they can show that you never intended to pay for repairs but were engaged in an attempt, from the outset, to defraud them (rather than getting into a dispute after the fact about the cost, authorization, etc.), that could possibly lead to criminal liability.

Note that even if the sue you, they don't win automatically--they have to prove the existence of some agreement to pay these costs and that they are legitimate charges, and you can present your evidence and testimony disputing that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption