CanI go to jail for hiding my car froma finance company?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI go to jail for hiding my car froma finance company?

I am behind in my car payment and my finance company is threatening to press charges and have me arrested.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Possibly you could be facing a criminal charge for hiding your vehicle from your lender if you are behind in making payments on it, but I doubt that law enforcement will be interested in pressing charges regarding the situation that you have written about for the simple fact that what you have written about is a civil issue for all intents and purposes.

You need to be aware that for a third person to threaten a criminal action to gain an advantage in a civil matter could be a criminal act called extortion. What you have written suggests a possible criminal act on the part of the finance company's representative by threatening to have you arrested for being behind on your car payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption