Can I go to California for emancipation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go to California for emancipation?

Im 14 and I live in Arizona, and tryin
mg to get emancipated as early as
possible, but California is the only one
who accepts at 14, not 16. If I moved to
California for a while,months could I
get emancipated there? I was confused
because Im not sure if they would let
me do it if Im from another state. Ty-

Asked on February 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't do this, because you cannot legally live on your own or establish residence until you are emancipated (or 18 or over); but a state can only emancipate its own residents. Therefore, since you cannot establish residence in CA (unless your parents/legal guardians consent or agree to you living there, such as if they let you move in with CA relatives), you cannot be emancipated in CA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption