Can I get unemployment if I quit my job due to my employer not paying FUTA?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get unemployment if I quit my job due to my employer not paying FUTA?

My employers has not been paying employee or employer portions of taxes for 6

months now. We haven’t received direct deposit for 2 years, and often receive our

checks a day or two late. Do I have reasonable cause to quit?

Asked on June 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not considered "constructive termination," or being effectively fired by your employer. It is behavior that ranges from the inconvenient (e.g. a day or two late on paychecks) to the legally actionable (failure to pay the taxes), but it is not conduct which makes your job one which no reasonable person would be expected to stay at; therefore, if you quit, it will be considered a voluntary separation from employment and you will not receive unemployment.
You can sue your employer for money they owe you or should have paid on your behalf (taxes); you can bring their failure to remit taxes to the attention of the IRS or state tax authorities, and/or to the department of labor (to whom you can also report the issue of late payroll payments)--you have various forms of recourse, but quitting and getting unemployment is not an option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption