Can I get the title back for my car for an auto title loan?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get the title back for my car for an auto title loan?

I had an auto title loan from the state of WI. I left the state to move to FL and did not pay off the loan. Auto title loans are now illegal in WI. I would like to register my car in FLbut am unable to without the title. Am I able to get the title back somehow? Would I have to file in court in order to obtain the title?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only way that you will be able to get registered title for the vehicle that you are writing about is for the lender to send you the registration to the car in your name. Most likely to get the registration from the lender you will have to pay off the loan for the vehicle that you agreed to.

Whether or not an auto title loan is now illegal in Wisconsin, it was presumably legal when you obtained the loan for the car. If so, then you are still obligated on the loan that you have for the vehicle you are writing about. I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in automobile law to assist you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption