Can I get spousal support

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get spousal support

I have been married 6 years and 6 months after we was married my husband wanted me to quit my job so I could travel with him for his job. For the last 5 years he had supported me financially. During this time I’ve had several surgery’s and I’m unable to return to work. Would I be able to get spouse support?

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The length of the marriage is just one of the factors that the Court can consider in deciding the issue of Spousal Support.  There are a number of factors and each case is unique in its facts and their applications and their application as a whole.  By that I mean if you were working and had a career and could support your self maybe the court might not award spousal support regardless of the length of the marriage.  But if all your facts add up to the need for support then the 6 years may be enough.   I would strongly suggest that you seek comsultation with an attorney.  Your state charachterizes spousal support in different ways and for different lengths. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption