Can I get someone removed as trustee without hiring a lawyer?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get someone removed as trustee without hiring a lawyer?

My sister and a family friend were named as trustees of my estranged father’s estate. The family friend has unofficially bowed out leaving her to act on her own. Apparently he’s signed some blank checks so he won’t have to deal with it anymore. She has been unable to work (emotionally unstable) for several years and apparently she has spent all of her money (which she wasn’t to get for several more years) and is now after mine. I agreed to “lend” her about 12K over the last year which was supposed to be paid back when she sold her house. Her house has not been sold. And last time she asked for more I told her no and she went ballistic. I don’t get my share until age 55. I’m on disability and don’t have the money to hire a lawyer. She and I live in other states. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you sister is a trustee under the trust that you are writing about and she will be acting as the sole trustee causing you concern, you could file a petition on your own seeking to have her removed as the trustee under the trust for specificed reasons under the law of the state you live in.

You can go to your county law library and do some legal research for the filing of the requested petition where you need not employ a lawyer to do what you want done. The law librarian can help direct you as how to do things. Your county might also have a legal aid program to help you as well for no charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption