Can I get reimbursed for personal items destroyed in a move?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get reimbursed for personal items destroyed in a move?

After almost 20 years of coverage with Allstate, they denied my claim for personal items damaged in a move. Do I have a case?

Asked on July 28, 2017 under Insurance Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what your insurance policy says. An insurance policy is a contract; like any other contract, it is governed or controlled by its plain terms. Review the policy: does it indicate that they would have to cover damage, etc. during a move? If you believe that the policy does require coverage, you could sue the insurer for "breach of contract": for violating its contractual (policy) obligation. To win, you would have to convince a court that under the terms of the policy, as applied to the facts of this situation, you should be reimbursed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption