Can I get promised work completed after the closing is completed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get promised work completed after the closing is completed?

Roof work was negotiated in buying my first home. It turns out that the work was not

completed and now my home has water damage leaks and damaged ceilings. What are

my rights as a new homeowner when the seller doesn’t complete work negotiated in

the BINSR (an addendum to the AZ Association of Realtors Residential Purchase Contract that allows, in an organized manner, the buyer to request repairs and the seller to respond)?

Asked on October 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was a contract (e.g. the addendum) requiring certain repairs be made and the seller did not complete them, you could sue the seller, for "breach of contract" (violating his or her contractual obligations) for the cost to make the repairs now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption