Can I get paid for the damages that my ex did to my car?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get paid for the damages that my ex did to my car?

A month ago my boyfriend (now ex) wrecked my car. He told me he hit a stop sign but didnt report it (he is not covered). After we broke up, he admitted to me that he actually hit another parked car. Whether he hit a parked car or a stop sign, I need this to be made right. I need to be paid for the damages done to my car.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Accident Law, Montana


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Check your insurance. Some insurance like Geico will automatically cover other drivers in the family. If not and your ex does not want to pay, you have to sue him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption