CanI get out of my lease if my neighbor has threatened my child?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get out of my lease if my neighbor has threatened my child?

My neighbor threatened to kill our 2 year old daughter Friday. Then Saturday night she threw a piece of asphalt into our daughter’s bedroom window. It went through 3 panels of glass and stuck in the wall on the opposite side of her room. They haven’t come to fix the window yet. I fear for me and our family.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is the aggressive neighbor a tenant in the same complex that you live in owned by the same landlord? If so, you have good cause to force your landlord to either immediately evict the dangerous neighbor or you will consider your lease terminated due to the dangerous condtions and for the safety of your family.

If the dangerous next door neighbor does not share the same landlord as you, you should also write your landlord after speaking further to him or her about the incident and how your safety in the fuure will be safeguarded by him or her.

Many states in this country require landlords to provide units for thier tenants and to protect them from dangerous elements such as the dangerous neighbor.

The landlord's failure to immediately fix the broken window shows a lack of concern by your landlord as to your and your family's welfare further justifying the ending of your lease by you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption