Can I get my wedding depsit back if date was cancelled more then 6 months prior?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my wedding depsit back if date was cancelled more then 6 months prior?

The wedding date was supposed to be 10/27. I cancelled this date 6 months ago. The manager said they would have no problem re-booking since this was the only date now available in the fall. They since told me that no one looked at the room that had the same amount of people and money promised so they never rebooked. and now I loose my $10,500 deposit. It seems like they just wanted to make a profit for the day without having to hire people and buy food for the event. I am being robbed. Anyway I can get my money back or some of it?

Asked on October 16, 2017 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter how long ago you cancelled, unless the contract itself said that if you cancelled by a certain date, you'd get your deposit back. Otherwise, you became obligated as soon as you signed the contract, and there is no inherent right to get your deposit back. Without a contractual provision returning your deposit to you or giving you a right of cancellation, the venue may keep your deposit if you cancel, even if you did 6 months in advance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption