Can I get my security deposit back if rent was raised before I moved in?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my security deposit back if rent was raised before I moved in?

I payed a deposit for a room. Then 5 days prior to me moving in the rent was raised. That wasn’t the deal nor could I afford it. I didn’t move in. Am I entitled to a full refund?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you placed a deposit for a room at a certain represented monthly rental but have not signed any lease agreement and when you went to sign the lease, you discovered that the monthly rent was higher than what you were led to believe, then you are entitled to get the return of your security deposit back.

I would call the person who received your deposit seeking its return and follow up the call with a confirming letter keeping a copy for future need and reference.

You are entitled to a full refund of your deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption