Can I get my money back from an illegal on-line payday loan?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my money back from an illegal on-line payday loan?

I got into the on-line payday loan trap, and after making several payments, I found out they are not licensed in Kentucky. I was wondering to know are there anyway to get my money back?

Asked on August 4, 2011 Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were a victim of an online pay day trap, you need to immediately report this crime to local law enforcement and your county's district attorney's office's white collar crime division for a formal investigation. You will need to provide all information that you have received such as e mails, cancelled checks and the like to law enforcement and the district attorney's office to assist in a criminal investigation.

As to the chances of getting the return of the money lost from the illegal online payday loan trap, the chances of you recovering your money from criminals would appear to be pretty remote.

It is not as though there is a physical address that you went to where an existing business was operating and your were taken advantage of. You lost your money through some online scam.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption