Can I get my marriage and divorce records sealed?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my marriage and divorce records sealed?

I was recently divorced but because my boyfriend’s friend is being nosey I would like to protect myself. Is it possible to have it done or not? If not and she does a search, what will pop up? Is it just dates? I am concerned.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The short answer would be no.  Divorce records are public records.  You would have to have some really extraordinary circumstances in your case to have a Judge enter an Order to Seal your divorce records.



For more information on Sealing records, visit my website at:

David Lee

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption