Can I get my dismissed misdemeanor removed from a background check?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my dismissed misdemeanor removed from a background check?

I had a “possession of dangerous drugs” (I had a small amount of marijuana) misdemeanor charge on my record from 8 years ago. Recently while looking into getting an expungement the court clerk told me the charge was meant to be dismissed years ago and had it corrected. When using i-chat (state public background service) I can still see a record exists. How can I get this to be removed or sealed? I thought under state law, a dismissed misdemeanor would be sealed? Am I missing something?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you have is that even though you were charged with a misdemenaor and it was later dismissed, it will continue to show up on your back ground search unless there is a court order sealing it from the public.

As such, I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what can be done to get your arrest record sealed. If sealed, then most likely it will not be picked up in a background check in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption