Can I get my case dismissed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my case dismissed?

I had single vehicle car accident. The police thought I was under the infleuce.

They arrested me and gave me a DUI. I was not intoxicated at the time of my

accident but since I had trace amounts in my system I had to take the DUI. They

seized my phone and told me they we’re trying to get a search warrant. A few

days later they called me to get it. They left a forenic application on my phone, so I have proof that they searched it. I have never been in trouble so I took the charge. Someone said I better look in to it, so I did but no one can find a search warrant. I go before the judge in a week to try to get my license.

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Searching your phone improperly (e.g. without a warrant) can result in any evidence from the phone being discarded or excluded (i.e. it will not be able to be used against you) but does not automatically result in the dismissal of the case. If the authorities believe they have sufficient other evidence (outside of the phone) to prove their case, they can proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption