CAn I get my alimony reduced?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CAn I get my alimony reduced?

When I got divorced I was paying 225.00 a month and as I made more money she made more alimony. I am no longer making that kind of money but I still pay 400 a month, and I cannot go back to being a law enforcement officer I am 55 and going to semi retire. Per the agreement she can’t touch my retirement. Is it feasible to see if I can get a break as I only make about what I made when we were divorced.

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Family Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances, including a change in income, are grounds for modification of spousal support.
You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause to schedule a hearing on the modification of spousal support.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing and then include the date/time/department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause.  You should also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your request for modification of spousal support.  Any additional supporting documents or other items should be filed as evidence in support of your request for modification of spousal support.  File all of these documents with a proof of service (court form) and mail a copy to your ex to provide her with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your court-filed documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any other required documents you need to file for a modification of spousal support because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption