Can I get my 10 years greencard or I will be deported?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my 10 years greencard or I will be deported?

I came to the US 4 years ago with F1 visa. The next year I met my husband and we got married. I got my 2 year greencard. He was travelling a lot but 89 months ago he left the country without telling me. After that I found FBI is looking for him due to some insurance fraud or something that they didn’t tell me. I was scared and my husband didn’t explain what was going on. So I allied for divorce and it is going to be finalized next month. Can I apply to get my 10 year green card while I was not married for 2 years? If not will I be deported? What will happen to me?

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Immigration Law


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I see nothing prohibiting you from getting your ten (10) year green card even though you you are getting a dissolution from your marriage even though you have not been married for two (2) years. I suggest that you may want to consult with an immigration law attorney about the situation that you are writing about and what your legal options are with respect to seeking a green card to stay in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption