Can I get married at 17 without permission?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get married at 17 without permission?

I’m 17 years and 4 months old I’ve been living with my boyfriend for 6 months and he went to arizona because there’s not much work. My boyfriend has been supporting me for awhile. My mom hates him but I want to get married because I feel that my mom can’t do the job of raising me. I have been depressed

for years and have a mental condition, however she has moved me places for years and I have been very depressed and she just makes it worse. My boyfriend has helped me through it and she probably won’t let me get married, neither will my dad. Is there anyway that I still can since I’m almost 18.

Asked on May 8, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In CO, you must be 18 to get married or 16 with parental permission. There is something in the law known as "emancipation" which imparts adult rights to a minior under certain conditions. However, this process still takes some time and is not guatanteed to emancipate the minor. At this point, since you are almost 18 you might just as well wait until your birthday to marry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption